Well, that was a very difficult workout.
I wanted to mimic the intensity of this workout, but I didn’t have an erg at my disposal, so I decided to do it on the treadmill at max incline. I really want to avoid “real” running for now because I don’t want to cause inflammation in my newly repaired knee.
But even a slow jog at 15% grade is enough to really be really taxing. The question was how much was enough.
I decided that I would work from HR. I wanted the 6′ sections to bring me up into the range of 165-172 bpm, and the 9′ sections to bring me back down into the 150-160 range. I used the first interval to experiment. In the first 6′ interval, I started at 4.5 mph and within a minute, I knew that was way to aggressive. I backed off to 4mph and even that was a genuine struggle. My HR monitor picked the wrong day to act up. You can see in the plots that there were dropouts and lags. It might be time for a new battery. The 9′ sections were fine at about 3.1 mph
By the last interval, I was really tired. I slowed down to about 3.8 on the fast bit and ended up dropping the 9′ pace to around 2.8mph. Pitifully slow, but effective.
I think that was pretty effective. Sure was less fun on a treadmill than on the erg though. I’m rower not a runner, that’s for sure.
Tuesday: I’ll hit the gym to do my regularly scheduled workout. I’ll do it by HR on the elliptical. For MP, I will aim at having my HR around 150 by the end of 20′, for the 10KP, I will aim at 167 by the end, and for the HMP, I will split the difference.
|3 x 20′ / 2′||MP, 10KP, HMP||90.0%||(167)|