On Wednesday night I had a business dinner that went quite late, and I had an early meeting on Thursday, so no chance for an OTW session.
But, I managed to get stuff finished up by 5 and I had some time to do the session on the erg.
Plan: Push it hard to see how I’m doing.
- 3 x 20′ / 2′ rest
- Target power
- 1st: mp (80 to 195). Target 200W
- 2nd: 10kp (210 to 225). Target 230W
- 3rd: hmp (195 to 210). Target 215W
- Nominal HR cap at 167. But I planned to ignore that.
Well, I survived. I went significantly over the cap. The last 20 minutes were brutal. The 20 minutes at 230W were pretty damn brutal too.
Workout Summary - media/20170608-2225210o.csv --|Total|-Total-|--Avg--|-Avg-|Avg-|-Avg-|-Max-|-Avg --|Dist-|-Time--|-Pace--|-Pwr-|SPM-|-HR--|-HR--|-DPS --|16044|66:00.0|02:03.4|208.4|22.3|160.0|177.0|10.9 W-|15367|60:00.0|01:57.1|218.1|22.3|160.3|177.0|11.5 R-|00681|06:00.0|04:24.5|050.3|21.2|142.3|177.0|07.4 Workout Details #-|SDist|-Split-|-SPace-|-Pwr-|SPM-|AvgHR|MaxHR|DPS- 00|05007|20:00.0|01:59.8|202.9|20.3|145.7|155.0|12.3 01|05238|20:00.0|01:54.6|233.2|23.5|165.1|173.0|11.1 02|05123|20:00.0|01:57.1|218.1|23.0|170.2|177.0|11.1
So, I actually pushed another 3 watts beyond the targets. I sure paid for it though.
It was good to dig the deep hole and keep plugging. Whenever I race, I worry about blowing up and embarrassing myself. These sessions where you slow down, but don’t give up are a pretty good way to show some grit for that kind of situation.
I will probably do a 20 minute warmup only a little later today.
Race plan for Saturday. The race is 2 laps of a 4km closed course.
- Aim at a rate of about 22-24 depending on wind and wave conditions
- Focus on steering and rowing clean
- Try to keep HR below 170 in the first lap. That’ll be an early sign that I’m pushing too hard.
- I have very little idea what kind of pace I can sustain. Probably about a 2:30 pace, but that’s a total guess.